Monday, June 28, 2010

Random Topic - Cats vs. Dogs

Now, it should be clear from the title of this blog that I like cats. In fact, cats are my favorite creature on this planet! But I did not come to this conclusion without reasoning, which I will discuss with you now.

Cats are smarter than dogs. I am well aware of the fact that a dog's brain is larger than a cat's, but more of the dog's brain is dedicated to memory, and believe it or not, memory does not equal intelligence. I have a few examples of surprising intellegence shown by my cats, but I could ramble on and on about that and I don't want to bore anyone.

Dogs can be taught to protect you from intruding humans, but cats protect you from intruding spiders, bugs, mice, snakes, bats, and birds all on their own. Movies have a way of fooling the public. They make it look like a common dog will automatically know when a human isn't supposed to be there. Your dog may bark insanely when someone knocks on the door, but that usually is from excitement, not from territorial instincts. More often than not, a house dog will treat all humans as friends. Humans aside, how many house dogs go looking for things to hunt within the house? I'm sure if a large animal like a goose wandered into your house, the dog would notice, but rarely do they notice smaller creatures like mice or spiders unless they are in plain sight.

Cats are cleaner and have softer fur. I bathe my cats not even once a year, and they are usually perfectly clean and have soft fur despite that. A dog needs to be outside often where it gets all sorts of dirty and doesn't bother much to clean itself up, and unless it is bathed by a human frequently, not only will it be dirty, but its fur will be coarse and possibly greasy- much like human hair when the human doesn't shower regularly. And I don't care what science says, cats mouths are cleaner, too. I've never seen a cat eating another animal's feces. I can't honestly say the same for a dog.

Cats are lower maintenance than dogs, and can be just as loving and loyal. Dogs are needy little bitches. (Pun intended.) They need to be walked every day, they need to be outside more than once a day to do their business, they need regular bathing, and they need to be trained to do basic things, like not poop on the floor. Cats need food, their litter box cleaned once a week, and the occassional petting and lazerpointer session.

Cats CAN be trained! Do you train them the same as you would a dog? No, of course not! You don't train monkeys the same as you train a dog, either, but you see trained monkeys all the time. It all depends on how you do it. If you do it right, training a cat is just as easy as training a dog.

Now I want everyone to understand, this rant doesn't mean I don't like dogs. I like dogs just fine. I just like cats better. I'd like to own a dog someday, but I have no experience with owning dogs, and would need someone better qualified to help me out. That's why I want to raise a well-behaved dog with whoever I decide to end up with, before I ever have a kid. Because kids are scary, man. A higher maintenance pet than a cat would be good training and preparation.

Until next time,
Cap'n Kyrie

No comments:

Post a Comment