Saturday, July 17, 2010

Widening My Anime Horizons

Having had some free time, recently, I've been watching a few anime series that I've heard about but hadn't seen. So here is my list and the ratings I've given them:

Hetalia- I love it. I saw every episode available subbed, and am already saying, "PASTAAAA" at any appropriate moment. I thought it was a neat idea when I first heard of it at Nebraskon 2009, but I only saw the series a couple weeks ago. I'm looking forward to when I can get the Hetalia movie with subs.

Tokyo Mew Mew- I love cats, so when I first heard of this via a totally cute Mew Mew boy cosplayer at Nebraskon 2009, I made note to watch it later. Again, I procrastinated and life got in the way, so I only saw it recently. I watched what was available in dub, then the rest in sub. At first when I started watching it, I wasn't too sure about the series. It seemed too little-kid-ish and waaay too similar to Sailor Moon. But I realized when I switched to sub, that this was a result of Americanizing the show. I kind of regret not starting out in sub, even though I hate subtitiles. (I feel like I'm paying more attention to the words than what's going on in the show.) In this case, however, I stongly recommend watching in sub. Also, the last two episodes are heartbreaking. I'm not too sure how I feel about the very end, but overall, I'd give this show a good rating.

Fruits Basket- I haven't completely finished watching this show, but I plan on it. I think it's a very good story concept, and having seen references all over the place from every con I've been to so far and my friends at Anime Club, I knew I had to watch it. So far I am very pleased with the show. I must say, however, that MegaVideo sucks. Big time. I'm very cheap, so I'll watch any shows I can find online anywhere. I don't understand why Funimation is so worked up about people putting episodes on YouTube, when the Funimation website doesn't have the same shows available. I don't think they have the right. Anyway, back to the show. I haven't seen all of it yet, but I intend to. I'm not so sure I agree with all of the personality the writers gave Kyo and Yuki, but I do appreciate some of the little cat-like details they've added to Kyo. For instance, how he likes to be in high places. Cats love high places, and among cats, the higher up you are, the more important you are. I am a bit confused, however. I don't recall there being a seahorse anywhere in the zodiac. It's true that cats aren't in the zodiac, either, but the show has an excuse for that. It might be that there is an excuse for the seahorse, too. If so, I haven't gotten that far. Anyway, please no spoilers. I'll have an update for my Fruit's Basket review later.

Until next time,
Cap'n Kyrie

No comments:

Post a Comment